Recover from disabilities with home service
Frailty in old age people is defined as a condition of global impairment including physiological reserves that involves several organs. The state manifests due to increased vulnerability, the capability to hold environmental and intrinsic stresses and constrained ability to maintain psychosocial as well as physiological homeostasis. Frailty is mostly found in 20 to 30% of people who are aged over 75 years and the condition increases with advanced age. Home disability services are provided to elderly people to maintain their disabilities. The state is linked with long term health effects such as dependency, risk of geriatric problems, hospitalisation, disability, mortality as well as institutional placement.
Contribution of disabilities
According to the health resources, there are few types of chronic disease that result in disability in elderly people above 65 years.
- Foot problems.
- Heart problems.
- Cognitive impairment.
Many other problems include:
- Hearing impairment.
- Cardiovascular and chronic respiratory disease like heart failure, and cerebrovascular disease.
- Hip as well as fall fracture.
Risk factors of disabilities
The condition of frailty in old age people might be caused due to the combination of factors such as chronic disease, physical inactivity, malnutrition or anorexia in later stages of adulthood.
According to some studies, the main factor that results in disabilities is rented housing, lack of schooling, arthritis, diabetes, visual impairment, obesity, depression as well as constricted diversity in social relations. These causes might be enhanced due to access to the cost of healthcare in several countries.
The normal process of ageing
Several physiological factors are associated with age that includes:
- Changes in the composition of the body.
- Reduction in the mass and strength of bones with a high risk of fracture.
- Reduction in the volume of blood.
- Reduction in the capacity of the ventilator.
- Reduced function of the kidney.
- Changes in the nervous system.
- Reduced elasticity of the lens in the eye.
People above the age of 70 frequently suffer from chronic disabilities.
- Stroke can result in coordination problems, weakness as well as locomotor difficulties.
- Coronary heart disease can cause heart failure, myocardial or angina infarction.
- Diabetes can lead to diabetic neuropathy.
- Alzheimer's disease can also cause neurological disorders.
- Urinary infections can be disabling.
- Visual loss is linked with a high risk of falling.
- Visual impairment and hearing problems can lead to isolation resulting in depression.
- Falls are associated with loss of function, pain as well as injury.
Who can be involved in the management of disabilities?
A multidisciplinary approach with home disability services can be helpful for the old age people. This is beneficial for the people who have recently recovered from any femur fracture or stroke. The geriatric hospitals are important in providing care to old people with functional decline.
In many parts of the world, home hospital methods have also been invented although some of them help to improve functional ability. Case management by the matrons is a health care department of the old age patients suffering from the long term conditions.
Article Directory /
Arts, Business, Computers, Finance, Games, Health, Home, Internet, News, Other, Reference, Shopping, Society, Sports